Sunday 5 September 2010

Poor cat...

Another day was spent at work today. It was surprisingly quiet for a Saturday, but I actually had a pretty good time because a guy from Waykis was playing on the high street. Waykis are the south American band that play there occasionally, I have no idea why it was only one guy but nonetheless I love the music so had a great time lietening to it for most of the day. My colleagues found it rather comical that I bought both their CDs last time I saw them, but I'm not ashamed. After work I. discouraged went home before heading back to town for the cinema with Danny and Lou. Angus, Liam and Megan were also there but they saw the Expendables. We saw The Last Exorcism. We were bitterly disappointed. The first half was very involving, creating good characters in a good plot, but at the halfway point the scares come in and it immediately starts going downhill to the point that it offers very little reward for enduring the events unfolding on screen. Plot becomes very thin and clichéd, until the final scene which was the last straw; the use of clichés reached a point that was nearing self-parody. I don't put spoilers here but I am tempted to do so just to warn people not to see it. Scary scenes certainly have a strong sense of tension and effective scares. However, these are achieved through very cheap tactics of lunges at the camera and such. To put it in context, I found myself enjoying the movie far too little to warrant terrifying myself with the goings-on so didn't watch at times a shock was imminent but kept glancing back and listening for the sole purpose of seeing how it ends to fulfill my curiosity, fuelled entirely by the first half. Great acting but my lasting thoughts are nothing other than crushing disappointment and actually anger at the laziness of it. I give it 4/10. Song of the day is Sonquoyman by Waykis. I doubt if it'll be on YouTube but if you find it, its lovely. That is all.

No comments: