Sunday 5 September 2010

Inverness; you never fail to disappoint.

It was unusual to be at work today as I haven't worked a Sunday since transferring to the high street. Walking around town before I started it was like a ghost town; it took me most of my spare time to find an open shop that sold newspapers. Work was extremely quiet, apparently completely as expected on a Sunday. Still there was activity outside to keep me entertained; a polish guy was staggering around, drunk, but unlike the usual jakey behaviour of shouting at passers by or fighting each other, he was randomly helping strangers, such as an old man busking, for whom he got a carrier bag from me (after superdrug refused to give him one) and put all the man's money into it and sat the bag next to him as he was convinced the police would make him move and take the money because he didn't have a licence. It was unusually nice to see, but any good thoughts of Inverness were destroyed by a woman rummaging through the bins, eventually finding a half full bag of crisps and sat with a triumphant look as she ate them. Afterwards she went back to the makeshift vending machine, rummaging through discarded McDonald's bags, alas to no further avail. It was disgusting. Also there wasn't a pang of sympathy because that is totally unnecessary no matter the difficulty she is in: there are people and places that can help if need be. Work was highly stressful for a short time as I was processing a mobile broadband contract; something I haven't been trained on how to do, yet is very important to do right as if not, you can leave the customer with hundreds of pounds of bills coming through from Vodafone and everyone pointing the finger at you. Luckily, perhaps skillfully, I got it done without major hitches and the customer left happy allowing me to learn how to breathe again. I read the news today that the sex pistols are to release... no, not a new album... a perfume. The reasons for my disgust are pretty obvious I feel: if time travel is ever possible I'd love to go back and show them that in 30 years they'll be selling butter and releasing their own perfume. Atrocious. This evening I saw the last part of secret britain, covering Scotland. It was really interesting but one thing that struck me was the excellent taste of whoever picked the music; about half of the featured music was stems from Bat for Lashes and I also heard a Noah and the Whale song. This brings lot to song of the day which now has to be by Bat for Lashes. I'll go for Moon and Moon because I specifically remember it featuring in the program and its a lovely, relaxing song. It's fairly simple, with piano and the odd keyboard undertone, with the singer-whose-name-I'm-ashamed-to-admit-I've-forgotten's voice giving it a really unique raw yet professional sound that sums up what I love about their music.

No comments: